Sunday, August 25, 2013

Banana Peanut Butter Muffins

This morning I realized I had 3 over-ripe bananas in my fruit bowl & didn't want them to go to waste, so I decided to make some banana muffins.  I found a really basic recipe on Pinterest that only called for 2 bananas & I actually had all of the other ingredients at my house, so I decided to give it a whirl.

My banana muffin idea was great in theory, but as I started peeling the bananas to mash them, I realized 2 of the 3 were disgustingly over-ripe & I couldn't use them.  But by this point I had already gathered my other ingredients & was REALLY dying for some muffins, so I started thinking about what I could use as a banana substitute--all I needed was the equivalent of 1 more banana.  As I started to think about this, I thought of how my grandmother always used to make me bananas & peanut butter for a snack--and VOILA!  There was my idea.  It took some tweaking, but I actually ended up with some seriously good muffins!  I am usually a stick-to-the-recipe kind of girl when it comes to baking, so I was pleasantly surprised at how well these turned out.  Enjoy!

Banana Peanut Butter Muffins

1 ripe banana
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used crunchy b/c that's what I had)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup milk

Crumb Topping (optional--just mush these 3 ingredients together with a fork):
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp butter, softened

1. Preheat oven to 375 & grease muffin pan or line with paper liners.
2. Mash banana & mix with peanut butter, egg, vanilla, & butter.
3. Mix all dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
4. Dump dry mixture into the wet mixture.
5. Gradually add milk (up to 1 cup) until you get a good muffin texture--not like cookie dough, but not too runny.
6. Spoon into muffin pan & sprinkle with crumb topping.
7. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Makes 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment